About Me

My photo
Rachel trained at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts where she graduated in Professional Musical Theatre and recieved awards for best actress.She later went on to work with queen choreographer, Arlene Philips, as a principal dancer with the unique performances of The Give Back Project and played a principal role in a new writers play entitled The Perfect Man for Me. She went on to make her first short film with Ocean Storm productions entitled 'The Pledge'. After leaving Paris where she was promoted to dance captain in shows and parades she discovered her passion to teach and help benefit others in performing arts. She has since taught dance and drama all over the country with Jago performers in Worcester, Abbey School of Dance in Coventry and Lemon Jelly Arts in Leicester and London. Rachel now wishes to further her teaching skills to one day achieve her ambitions of becoming a successful member of a stage school faculty or perhaps even a principal. She is undertaking a Work Based Learning course to develop these skills and achieve the needed qualifications to conquer her dreams.

Create your own happiness...

Happiness is the Key to Success!

Sunday 2 May 2010

Critical Commentary.

Before I commenced the course in September 2009, although I believed I would extend my qualification I did not expect to develop my knowledge around my subjects of interest to the extent that I have.

After completing the previous module (3002) I gained thorough insight on how to write in an appropriate style to express myself to different audiences. These writing tools and my module experience was extremely useful throughout this module. Writing styles are crucial to construct and conclude research and are required throughout the remainder of this Work Based Learning course. Without the prior module I believe I would have suffered with future progression.

My initial thoughts and feelings towards the start of this module were negative, stemming from my lack of experience and understanding of how to construct a research project. My past experience has never involved professional research methods and techniques and I found the module a little overwhelming.
My attitude soon changed when I read thoroughly through the Module Handbook and held in depth conversations with my course adviser. These both educated me that successful research topics would be those concerning my future career and aspirations. After discovering in my Learning Diary that 'different passions are appearing for me within my job and certain problems are occurring', I was convinced that I needed to understand where these passions developed from and that may lead me to discover how these problems could be resolved. My enthusiasm from here onwards revealed that as a teacher my motivation to teach was growing and making it evident that my studies towards the module were benefiting my teaching practice.

I have learnt how to construct my thoughts towards learning, how to organise them and apply them professionally through philosophies such as Kolb's Theory and other learning methods. These will consistently be used to demonstrate my unique ability to utilize new ideas and learn with efficiency. This was studied throughout module 3002 and will forever be exercised in my future work and career.

Along with my writing styles my vocabulary has improved immensely. This is a result to reading different materials throughout all my academic work throughout the course and was enhanced by the required glossary in module 3835. This is important and a necessity when applying for jobs and performing interviews. This became evident when I read through my learning diary of practical and psychological events which are return with structure and literacy. The learning Diary was a instrument of progressive learning in itself, giving me recorded progression throughout my education and helping to organise my thoughts constructively. This is another technique I have learnt to employ in my work to help enhance my teaching.

Research methods and instruments have demonstrated how a belief or opinion can be proven professionally and with use of primary, secondary, quantitative, qualitative and many other sources of research I can produce constructive criticism. Module 3835 has strengthened my literal criticism and analytical skills boosting my confidence when academically applying myself.

When I read past blog entries and my finalised module portfolio I can see my learning progression and am able to positively reflect on my studies. I would have struggled to complete these last two modules with out my fellow students blogging information and with the absence of BAPP online support. It has been a massive advantage learning how to use the online network site and this is a resource I believe will advantage my career in the future.

One of the latest subjects covered in module 3835 was that of ethical issues. This is an area I had no previous knowledge about but now feel I understand in detail and can account for in future situations when I feel ethical issues may be apparent.

At the beginning of this module I recorded in my Learning Diary that:

'after reading through the 3835 module handbook I believe that this will be
the module I find most interesting, being able to develop my thoughts around an
area I feel passionately about and research intensely.'

I can now confirm with great confidence that my initial thoughts were accurate and I thoroughly enjoyed completing the module learning more than I could ever imagine.



Different passions are appearing for me within the job and certain problems are occurring. I hope to sustain my efforts and work hard to complete a successful project and achieve the grades I am striving for.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    I hope that this finds you well.
    I was very interested to read your Blog named ‘Critical Commentary’. Being in the same boat as you, with completion of my Work Based Learning degree looming, I too can positively reflect on my studies. I am very old fashioned when it comes to technology, but being forced to open up a Blog on our first day at university has since proved to be incredibly helpful. Having the online support from peers and tutors was reassuring.
    Like you I can now see that Blogs, Delicious and Google Docs are immensely beneficial and if I decide to further my studies at a later date these will be very useful.
    Kind regards,
    Ciera Mullan

    ReplyDelete